Adventures through South America...

December 21, 2009

Columbiaaaaaaaaa

Well, I finally made it to Columbia. I spent the last week or so in Mendoza. Its a cool town to pass some time in and has a lot of opportunities for adventure tourism. Anna, my new BBFF (British Best Friend Forever...hahah) MADE me go paragliding and rafting...

Paragliding was actually amazing and not at all as terrifying as I thought it was. In fact, I had to fight the urge to take a nap while in the air! (naps come easy these days). So those of you who arent sure what paragliding is, basically you just run off the top of a mountain (or large hill - ours was 1650 metres above sea level) attached to a chute...and OF COURSE a professional guide...haha. It was actually really comfortable, you have this seat that you kind of sit in that is attached to the guide and he takes you higher, and lower and then around in circles until you think you are going to throw up and then you land...but you have to run in order to not fall when you land. I was the only one who didnt fall or muck up the landing. GO ERIN!

THEN, the next day, we went rafting (no, not white water rafting, more like red mud rafting) outside of the city. We got a big group together - we had met these three Canadian navy boys the first day in our hostel, and just went down the river (once again, with guides). Only we picked a day with some of the rockiest water conditions. It truly was scary, but we all managed to stay inside the raft for the whole hour! After rafting, we treated ourselves to some beers by the pool...and then more beers...and a bottle or two of wine...and next thing you know, its 4 pm the next afternoon. opps....so much for our biking wine tour. Which was for the best really. I think Anna and I had consumed enough Argentinian wine on our own that we didnt need to get on a bike and do it!

So thats the good stuff. The bad stuff (as there always will be). We got to our hostel (recommended by lonely planet so of course i figured it would be ok) only to be informed that some nice Argentinian lads broke into the room the night before and stole everyones electronics. So without haste, already having paid for our first night, we went and found a much more amazing hostel that people didnt break into. Anyway, we went to bed relatively early that night, only to be awoken by one of the British lads fighting with two more Argentinian boys who managed to make their way into our room. We checked out real fast. There was a lot more crime in Mendoza than I would have liked. But we made it out unharmed.

I left Mendoza on Sunday on a 6 hour bus to Santiago, Chile. Then headed straight to the airport (9pm) to wait for my flight (730am the next day). I was amazed at how many people actually sleep in airports...and not just backpackers...there were 60 year old couples there too! Crazy. Got on my delayed flight about 9am....flew to Lima, Peru by 10 am. Then waited around for my 530pm flight to Bogota, Columbia. Got to my hostel about 10pm and man I am exhausted!!!

Off to Santa Marta tomorrow for Christmas and then Taganga for New Years. If I dont post again before then:

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments: