Adventures through South America...

March 11, 2009

Day Eleven: Kit Kat Dark

Oh here goes the second chocolate bar in a day!!! Oh the dedication I have!
Kit Kat Dark
"Have a Break! Have a...Kit Kat"

Did you know:
  • In the UK Kit Kat is the number one brand both as a confectionery item and as a biscuit
  • In Canada and the US, it is one of the top ten
  • Kit Kat's have become popular in Japan, due to the name being similar to kitto katsu, which translates roughly to "You will surely win!"
Well this was pretty much a regular Kit Kat but covered in Dark Chocolate. I am a dark chocolate fan, but I didn't really feel that it went well with the wafer on the inside. Seeing as this is made with cocoa, it does have stronger health benefits then regular milk chocolate.

I was a big Kit Kat fan when I was a kid, but I think part of the thrill for me was the packaging. I loved unwrapping it piece by piece. The packaging these days is all in one now, which is likely a little bit better for the environment, but not nearly as fun.

When researching Kit Kat, I was astonished by the amount of information available!!

I'm sure you all remember the 'Gimme a break' commercials (1986). Kit Kat has had many slogans over its time: originally advertised as "the biggest little meal" and "the best companion to a cup of tea" (1930s), "what active people need" (during the Second World War), "Have a break...have a Kit Kat" (1954) and "Make the most of your break" (2004, UK)

In a desperate fight for market share against Cadbury's Dairy Milk in the UK, Nestle has introduced a variety of 'limited time only' flavours/variations...some listed below:

Japan - Iced Tea, Caramel and Salt, Kinako (soybean), Wa Guri (Chestnut), Green Tea, Apple, Kiwi Fruit, Strawberry, Peach, Cantaloupe, Azuki (red bean), Caramel Macchiato, Jyagaimo (potato), Pumpkin, Edamame, Watermelon and Salt...etc

Canada - Banana, Chunky, Chunky Caramel, Peanut Butter

UK - Low Carb, Caramac, Tiramisu, Golden Caramel, Kubes

There are tons more listed, and it looks like Japan is the most adventurous in releasing new flavours of chocolate bars. It makes you wonder though, if their branding will suffer in the long term, with not being able to stick to one overall 'taste'

In the end, I wasn't thrilled with the chocolate bar. I am a fan of dark chocolate, but I don't think that in this case the bitterness goes all that well with the sweet wafer. This makes me think that I would be one of their consumers that wouldn't be overly receptive to all of the new flavours that they have introduced around the world.

Rating:
Milk Factor: 1
Smiles: 1
Calories it was worth: 180 out of 240

No comments: